Tree Preservation & Advisory Council
The goal of the Tree Preservation & Advisory Council is to ensure the City will realize the benefits of trees by proposed policies, regulations and standards necessary to:
- Establish and maintain the appropriate amount of tree cover on public lands and to maintain an inventory of its City trees.
- Maintain City trees in a healthy and nonhazardous condition through good arboricultural practices.
- Establish and maintain diversity toward native tree species and age classes to provide a healthy and stable urban forest.
- Study, investigate, develop and/or update and administer a written plan for the care, preservation, pruning, planting, replanting, removal or disposition of trees and shrubs in parks, along streets and in other public areas. Such plan will be presented to the City Council and, upon its acceptance and approval, shall constitute the official comprehensive tree plan for the City of Milford.
- Prepare and submit a tree planting/maintenance budget to Council for approval.
- Advise the City Manager on making application for and receiving grants or contributions of money, technical assistance and labor from any person, organization or agency, and, on the expenditure of such grants or contributions for specific projects relating to the planning, management, care, planting and preservation of trees in the community forest and for the beautification of the City of Milford.
- Assist and work with individuals and businesses developing new residential, commercial or industrial sites to preserve existing trees or oversee proper replacement of trees removed from the site being developed.
- Educate the public about the benefits of trees and their proper care.
Now accepting applications! Apply today
There is hereby created and established a Tree Preservation & Advisory Council which shall consist of five members. These five members will include volunteer citizens, residents and/or local business owners, and will be appointed by the Mayor with the approval of Council. The term of the five members appointed by the Mayor and approved by Council shall be three years, except the term of two of the members appointed to the first Board shall be for only one year and the term of two of the members appointed to the first Board shall be for two years. If a member leaves the Board during his or her term, his or her successor shall serve for the unexpired portion of the term.