Utility Payments, Bills, Rates and More

Setting Up or Closing Utility Accounts

To set up new utility services, such as electric, water, sewer, or trash, please review either the Residential or Commercial Service Application.  Please come to the Customer Service office located at 119 S. Walnut Street your drivers license or state issued picture ID, social security number, and the lease signed by all parties or settlement paperwork. All individuals listed on the documentation must be present to sign up for services. Fees include a deposit and connection fees. 

To close or transfer an account, we require requests in writing or in person.  Be sure to include the service location and date of requested turn off/on and transfers will be processed within two business days. You may fax this request to us at (302) 422-1120 or email us at customerservice@milford-de.gov

Utility Payments

For our customer’s convenience, utility payments can be made several ways:

  • Log in each month and pay online.
  • Have your payments automatically deducted from your checking or savings account.  
  • Place in the drop box at City Hall.
  • Use our drive-up window at the Customer Service Office. No need to walk in!  
  • Come into the office and pay in person.


Electric Rates    Solid Waste Rates    Sewer Rates      Water Rates

Payment Arrangements and Delinquent Accounts

Payment arrangements may be made provided the arrangement clears the existing utility bill within a timely manner and before calculation of the next bill. Arrangements will be made only with the customer whose name is on the account. Payment arrangements must be made by 4:30 p.m. the day prior to disconnection. Payments in the drop box after 4:30 p.m. will not be taken into consideration.

Payment arrangements by phone are accepted. Should there be a dispute over the arrangement, it may be necessary for the customer to sign a payment agreement in person.

If arrangements are not kept as promised, the property will be disconnected the following business day. No further arrangements will be made with a customer for 12 months once an arrangement is broken.

ALL DELINQUENT BALANCES MUST BE PAID IN FULL TO PREVENT DISCONNECTION OF UTILITY SERVICE. Delinquent notices are mailed the Wednesday after the bill is due. Payment is due within nine (9) days after the due date to avoid disconnection. Failure to receive a notice does not relieve you of your payment responsibilities.

Disconnection of utilities begins at 8:00 a.m. on the day specified on the delinquent notice. Upon disconnection, payment in full of past due amounts and administrative fees will be required for re-connection. 

Medical Certification Program

This program enables customers with a medical necessity for electric and water to make arrangements ahead of time to prepare for extended outages. We understand the inconvenience and hardship that loss of power presents.  If termination of electric service will adversely affect the health or recovery of a customer, the customer can have a Delaware licensed healthcare provider fax or email a completed City Certification of Medical Need form and a Medical Certification form to us.  Forms are effective for 120 days, per Delaware Code.