- You Are Here:
- Your Government
- Customer Service/Tax & Utility Billing
- Tax Payments, Assessments and Senior Exemptions
Tax Payments, Assessments and Senior Exemptions
Our online tax website enables users to access property tax accounts, assessment information, and even pay your property tax bill online!
Simply follow the link and search by owner name, tax account ID, street address, or parcel number, all of which are included on your tax bill. To learn more about the City's tax rate, assessments and appeals, see below.
The tax year runs October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Annual tax bills are mailed in August and due September 30. The penalty for delinquent taxes is 1% per month.
Tax Relief for Senior Citizens
The City offers a senior citizen exemption (reduction) on their annual tax bill provided they meet the income qualifications and submit the required application to the Customer Service office by June 1 of the current year. An application must be filed annually.
- Every person 65 or more years of age having an income not in excess of $20,000 from all sources (including capital gains, pensions and annuities) per year, exclusive of social security and government-sponsored post-retirement benefits received in lieu of social security benefits,, and residing in a dwelling owned by him or her which is a part of his or her real property shall be entitled, on proper claim being made thereof, to exemption from taxation on $40,000 of assessed valuation of such real property.
- In the case of jointly owned property, or property owned by husband and wife, such exemption shall be granted where the income of both does not exceed $40,000 from all sources (including capital gains, pensions and annuities) per year, exclusive of social security and government-sponsored post-retirement benefits received in lieu of social security benefits.
- Every claimant shall sign a statement that he or she is a resident of the City of Milford, of the age of 65 years, the owner and resident of a dwelling which is a part of the real property for which such exemption is claimed, and has been a resident of that property for a period of at least one year prior to October 1 of this year.
- Such applicant shall provide proof that his or her income from all sources including capital gains, pension, and annuities for the yearly period did not exceed the income described herein, exclusive of social security and railroad pensions.
City Deadline for application submission is June 1
Department: Customer Service
The current tax rate in Milford is $.49275 per $100 of assessed value. To determine what your taxes will be use the following formula: Assessed Value x .0049275 = Taxes
The tax year runs October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Annual tax bills are mailed in August and due in September.
If you have any questions about the online tax website, your tax bill, or the Senior Citizen Exemption, please call Customer Service at (302) 422-6616.
Real Estate Transfer Tax
As of November 2021:
- Milford: 1.5%
- State of Delaware: 2.5%
- First Time Homebuyer: The Milford code Chapter 178.2D states "There shall be no tax imposed on those transfers where all grantees qualify as first-time home buyers. For purposes of this chapter, "first-time home buyer" shall have that meaning given in § 178-1H. This is for buyer and seller if the sale is to a first time home buyer. Click here for the First Time Homebuyer Exemption Form.
General Assessment of Real Property in the City of Milford
Article VII of the City of Milford Charter requires a copy of the General Assessment, as adjusted by the supplemental assessment, as made in said year, to be posted. The General Assessment can be found at: FY22-23 General Assessment (dated 06/10/22)
PUBLIC NOTICE City of Milford Property Tax Appeals
Please be advised that on Monday, July 25, 2022 at 6:00 p.m., the City Council of the City of Milford will sit in the Council Chambers at Milford City Hall, 201 South Walnut Street, Milford, Delaware, as a Board of Revision and Appeal, in regard to the 2022-2023 City of Milford General Property Assessment.
Copies of the 2022-2023 General Assessment are posted for public information at Milford City Hall, 201 South Walnut Street, Milford, Delaware and the City of Milford Customer Service Center, 119 South Walnut Street, Milford, Delaware.
Issued this 23rd day of May 2022 pursuant to Article 7 of the Charter of the City of Milford, Delaware.
Assessments and Appeals
Assessments are performed quarterly, in January, April, July and October, and adjusted/corrected bills are mailed out accordingly. After each quarterly assessment property owners will be notified of any assessment changes to their property by receiving a Notice of Change In Assessment.
The deadline to file a petition to appeal your assessment is 30 days from the issuance of a Notice of Change in Assessment and informal appeal reviews take place quarterly with formal appeals annually.
Using your Notice of Change in Assessment letter, find the date the Petition of Appeal is due and use that date to file the correct form:
Petition of Appeal Due July 20, 2022
Why Did I Receive A Notice of Change In Assessment?
Typically a change in assessment occurs when a change on the property takes place, i.e. an addition is built, a house is demolished, property is annexed, acreage is corrected. If you have a question about your assessment, please contact Carol Scott at 302-422-6616 ext 1204.